Starting off on the Sega Saturn as an attempt to bring back the classic Sega Master System, Genesis and arcade games, developed by porting veterans M2, Sega Ages has popped up periodically throughout the illustrious history of gaming.
Sega Ages Switch
However, mostly available solely in Japan these classic titles have been scattered across time in popular classic collections fluttering around on the PlayStation 2 and 3 systems.
Now it’s time for Nintendo to get in on the fun as Sega has officially announced the Sega Ages series is coming to the Nintendo eShop this summer.
Along with the announcement came a reveal of the first 5 games in the lineup to hit the eShop, those being:
- Phantasy Star – One of the first to do it all, this 1987 RPG was featured on the Sega Master System and took players on an enthralling adventure like never before through the distant galaxy of Algol.
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World – The original rival to Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros., Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a memorable platformer where players assume the role of the young martial artist in a 2D side-scroller punching your way to victory.
- Thunder Force IV – This classic side-scrolling shmup gives an unrelenting challenge of nostalgic chaos and a wider range of manoeuvrability when compared to its predecessors.
- Sonic the Hedgehog – The blue blur’s debut into the entertainment world, Sonic the Hedgehog marks the start of taking on the challenge of platforming games with the addition of doing so at blistering speeds.
- Gain Ground – For those asking for a bit more strategy, Gain Ground is the arcade action-strategy game that will have you methodically taking out your foes across several diverse eras – past and future – in world history.
Stay tuned for more on the growing lineup of the rebooted series – Sega Ages – as we draw closer to the eShop release, coming summer 2018.