If, like me, while playing the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on PS4, you’ve thought: ‘I remember them being hard, but this hard?’. Well, it turns out you might be on to something. The developer has now confirmed that the games are indeed harder.
- Developer Vicarious Visions, writing over on Activision’s blog, has said that they chose the handling from Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped as the Trilogy’s starting point, as it represented the “most improved and modern approach”.
- So how does that make the game harder then? Well, the developer ended up tuning Crash’s jump differently for each game, meaning that in the first Crash Bandicoot game in particular, you fall more quickly upon release of the ‘X’ button than you did in the original game. That can change everything.
- The trilogy also features a different collision system to add to the fun: “Certain jumps require more precision than the originals. Much like the handling, we iterated on collision and physics throughout development to make it fair to all players and as faithful to the original games as possible”.
- The developer now recommends you start with the second and third games before playing the first: “Come back to try Crash Bandicoot after you’ve had more practice. For those of you who played the originals and acquired a fair amount of muscle memory, re-learning the handling in our game may present an additional challenge”.
- Vicarious Visions ended by teasing that “news that you won’t want to miss” will be announced at their panel at San Diego Comic-Con this Thursday.
So Crash fans weren’t wrong about it being harder – that makes me feel a little better as I look at my sore and battered hands. As for this “special surprise”, it could be anything from Crash 1 DLC to a Crash Team Racing Remaster (probably not). Stay tuned!
3 thoughts on “Confirmed: The Crash Bandicoot remaster is harder than the original, “special surprise” is coming for fans”
The special surprise is going to be Stormy Ascent!
So I’ve literally being playing this all day (who says I don’t have a life 😂) and yep, it’s frickin’ hard! I love it though!
Oh yeah, hard as nails… Keep at it though – it’s very rewarding!