Just like any Nintendo Direct or ‘Nindie’ presentation, there was a lot of speculation from the gaming community on what would and wouldn’t be announced in the most recent Nindie showcase. The funny thing is that the game everyone had as a shoo-in to be announced at the showcase, was actually announced after it ended…
Hyper Light Drifter Switch
Yes, that’s right, Hyper Light Drifter is finally coming to the Switch. Let’s get you guys caught up:
- Believe it or not, Hyper Light Drifter was originally supposed to come out for the Wii U. But, thanks to the technical limitations of that console, Hyper Light Drifter never saw the light of day.
- The new “Export to Switch” option on Gamemaker Studio 2 (the software that developer Heart Machine used to make HLD) means that Switch owners will finally be able to play one of the most beloved indie titles.
- Like I mentioned above, HLD actually wasn’t shown in the most recent Nindie Showcase. The reason for this exclusion is currently unknown, but if I was a betting man, I’d say Nintendo wanted to show off more unknown/obscure up and coming titles, and not have them be overshadowed by an indie juggernaut like HLD.
- Shortly after the showcase, Nintendo actually posted a tweet confirming Hyper Light Drifter’s upcoming release.
- Hyper Light Drifter will launch on the Switch eShop this summer. But, the real question is whether HLD will get a physical release for Switch. Just like some other indie titles have – Axiom Verge, Wonderboy and Darkest Dungeon.
So, will you guys be picking up Hyper Light Drifter on the Switch? Or are you going to hold out for a possible physical edition? Let me know in the comments below.