Secret of Mana was released on the Nintendo Entertainment System all the way back in 1993, (the same time Europe received Streets of Rage 2) and a remastered edition has recently been released on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and PC.
Secret of Mana HD Remake
The remaster adopted 3D graphics, voiced characters and some new content too. The biggest criticism of the title thus far though, appears to be the horrible optimization, specifically on PC, although it doesn’t look great for any of the versions. The game is said to crash constantly and there are animation problems aplenty, which gives the impression of a rushed to market product.
On that note, Square Enix have announced version 1.02 for the PS4 in early March and it’s due out on PC and Vita soon. The patch fixes many errors, such as black-out screens, colour changes, movement errors and more.
Here’s everything it does:
- Fixed common application error.
- Fixed personality colour change error.
- Fixed black screen after character revived at 0 HP mistake.
- Fixed an error in which a conversation won’t finish in some specific locations.
- Fixed an error that had characters fall into the first floor of a dungeon to the next.
- Fixed an error that slowed an enemy during an assault or magical cartoon.
- Left the bow weapon trajectory when assaulting particular enemies.
- Added a guide to display how players can switch the Ring Control screen.
- Added an icon to display the character currently employing a ring.
- Added a display of the effect of a Ring.
Hopefully this patch fixes the many performance problems of the game so that fans can fully enjoy the experience offered by Square Enix. I know things will never be like 1993 again, but this can be much, much better!