Paladins: Champions of the Realm launched in September of 2016 to a large amount of controversy in regards to copying Overwatch’s formula and characters. With many gamers seemingly out for blood for the Hi Rez-Studio’s game, surprisingly, Paladins has actually been very successful so far.
In the past 30 days, Paladins has an average player count of 20,000+ on steam, plus the thousands of players that play on PS4 and Xbox One. Hi-Rez seems to have developed a nice sized community for their aforementioned “Overwatch clone.” And, I think its safe to assume that the player counts are only going to rise after the newly announced game mode. Let’s get you guys caught up:
- Earlier this month Hi-Rez Studios announced that Paladins will be receiving a brand new game mode called “Paladins: Battlegrounds.”
- This new game mode is being deemed as the first ever hero shooter Battle Royale.
- Paladins: Battlegrounds will differ from competitors in many different ways.
- First off, the new game mode is designed around 2-4 person team play, there will be no solo mode at launch.
- Players will be able to choose from 8 different champions that will be consistently rotated in and out of the game mode.
- Also, loot works very differently in this game compared to other Battle Royale games. Instead of looking for weapons and armour, you look for character buffs and perks. Each buff and perk has its own rarity to determine the value of said item.
- All players can summon their mounts at any time to manoeuvre the large map, and find loot within the maps 50+ towns and villages.
- Speaking of the game map, in the Paladins: Battlegrounds game mode the map is 350 times larger than your typical Paladins map.
- In Paladins: Battlegrounds, there will be a total of 100 players in a single game, with a constantly shrinking zone pushing each other together to determine the winner. This zone is called the “Death Fog.”
- Just like the rest of the game, the Paladins: Battlegrounds game mode will be free to play. You can try it out to your liking when it launches later on this year.
So, what do you guys think? Is a hero shooter Battle Royale going to play out well? Let me know in the comments below…